Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Gateway Cup- University City




Monday was the final day of racing in the Gateway Cup, and I was ready for it. I was planning to go full out to try to get the big result. The course was another rectangle, with the backside being a steady upgrade and the front side a long down hill sprint. Not too encouraging of a race for juniors. Apparently not discouraging enough for at least eight other junior racers. After Mom and I walked a little bit of the course we set up camp around the car and chilled for about an hour. After getting warmed up and pinned up, I set out to secure a front line starting position. The temperature was creeping around the triple digits, and the sun was glaring down on The University City Crit, in other words, it was a scorcher.The race starts and I'm top 5 for the first few laps, and my lungs just aren't up to par yet. I try sitting in the pack for a few laps and after a close counter with a crash, decide that it probably won't to bad of an idea to move back up to the front. With the long downhill section it was pretty difficult to keep a safe position. With 3 laps to go I'm feeling pretty gassed and dangling off the back, just willing myself to think of reasons to stay in, and not pull out. I started contemplating of what I could do before pulling out.......put in a huge attack........drill it at the front...........or just drop out. I then looked over and saw my incentive. There was a junior I had talked to and gotten to know throughout the weekend, John Tomlinson. He was cruising around the back of the pack.
"Hey John! You want up to the front?"
"Yes please!"
"Alright, LETS ROLL!!!!!"
We then shoot up the right side of the road and into the top ten. Then I realize that I'm at the front.........and I'm feeling a little better. Ok, change of plans. I guess I will finish it. So John and I are at the very front now, as in 1st and 2nd wheel. There is only 1 lap to go so we start trucking it. I have to go early know not to get swarmed and by the top of the hill I burn myself out, and rolled in for field finish. Oh well. I accomplished the majority of my goals, though.
1 Stay up at the front
2 Stay out of crashes
3 Finish
A big thanks goes out to my Mom! Without her I definitely wouldn't have had any fun this weekend......or ever for that matter. Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

soulsupport said...

thanks for the acknowledging comments - I think you are great too! There will be more trips and travel in our future.