Sunday, September 2, 2007

Gateway Cup- Tour of Washington St. Louis




The race directions only specified to look for " the really tall buildings downtown." Yet the entire downtown area was made up of really tall buildings. So it took us a while to find the race. This course was once again a rectangle but had a slight uphill and downhill on each long side. The finish was on the vertex of the hill and 500 meters from the last turn, so it was quite a drag race to the finish. My plan for today was to keep a low profile. I've been battling a chest cold for the past 5 days, and it's pretty hard to breath. This time I get a pretty good starting position. To some it up, for the entire race I attained my goal by sitting no more than 6th wheel back. I only went on the attack once or twice, but it was only half hearted. On the last lap I got swarmed again, and decided to keep the rubber down. I pulled out on the 3rd turn and watched the finish from the back but, there was a crash in the last 300 meters. And unfortunately it included Kevin Moore, who raced for the Indy based Bacardi team 2 years ago. Fortunately he was alright, the only casualties was a few Kserium spokes, a durace derailleur, and a Castelli kit. Before I had pulled out I was actually on Kevin's wheel, but something was telling me to back down to fight another day.

No comments: