Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cross Chronicles #2

Sorry it took so long to get this up and posted. These week of school was crazy hard. So, without any further adu(?).........

This week I continued my cyclo-cross campaign to Yellow Springs Ohio. This course was so AWESOME!!!!!!!! It was flat, "critty", had only one barrier section and 2 (short) short track sections. It was great! We got there about 2 hours before the junior race. Even though it was early in the morning, it 90 degrees(in October!)!!!! I felt like I was going to melt, and I was only chilling in the truck. Did I say it was hot?!?!?! There were 2 groups that started 1 minute in front of us. The junior race started extremely fast. I was held up at the start, and put on the chase for 2 laps. On the last last I caught the lead masters group and posed for the cameras at the finish line. Juniors took the 1st and 3 place overall!!!!!!!!!



After the juniors I just couldn't cool down. It was scorching!!!!!!!!!! Before I knew it, it was time to suit up for the "B" race. I had a front line starting position but, once again I just couldn't get clipped in right away. I started maybe 7 guys back. During the first lap I picked off 2 or 3 guys, and by the third lap the break had been established and thankfully I was in it. I eventually move up to 2nd wheel and cruised there while the guy in front just hammered. He never motioned to me to help or anything, so I was way too happy to let him do the work. The race up to now had been pretty smooth and consistent, almost as if it had a rhythm to it. With 3 laps to go we were rounding a reverse cambered turn when the guy in front of me just flipped over the bars! I barely managed to get around him but, lost all of my momentum. This happened right before one of the short track sections, so nobody was really able to move up or make up lost ground. I'm going to be honest, I stepped on the gas a little bit. I know it wasn't the "gentleman" thing to do but, I got excited. So I put on the pressure for the next 2 laps and slimmed the group down to two other guys. On the last lap one of the guys puts in an attack and I just couldn't completely reel him back. The only other survivor of the break took the lead with 100 yards left and tried to get away after the technical section, but I held on and took the sprint for second.

I actually felt less gassed in the "B" race then in the juniors. Weird how things turn out, isn't it? I'll get the pics up later.

No comments: